Saturday, May 9, 2015

Let it go to let it happen

Tonight is your last chance to see ACC dancers in action on the Mainstage at the Rio Grande Campus. The Choreographers' Showcase starts at 8 pm and features student and faculty work.

Hien Nguyen has presented several works as a student at ACC. Tonight will be the third time her choreography shines onstage.

Hien Nguyen, Nico Locke, Alyssa Canas, Ogaga Anuta

Hien's inspiration for her piece, Juxt A Position, came from several quotes including "life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated" by Confucious. Her concept revolved around processing information, sifting through memories, and the constant back-and-forth of remembering.

How did you start putting your thoughts in movement?

It started with case studies in class during the semester, but it became a ting of its own. It just grew on its own. 
Alyssa Canas, Hien Nguyen, Nico Locke

There's a very architectural component to your piece with the shapes you make. How did you come up with the structure?

I had the inspiration before the semester started - I wasn't sure if it would stay through the semester but it did anyway. I worked with the case study and the movement; putting the idea and the phrases together was a challenge. I focused on the question "how does the brain process information?" So a lot of simple movement was repeated and retrograded; really working the movement characteristics. We repeated things over and over through different space and traveling.

What was one of the challenges you had to overcome in making this piece?

I have a bad case of control freak - I really wanted to listen to what my piece wanted to say. I had to listen and let it develop on its own versus "I want this, this, and that."

Full cast during dress rehearsal


What is a difference between your process for this piece and when you first started choreographing at ACC?

I had to let go of the uncontrollable; accepting it. I just went with things I hadn't intended. I didn't think of the diagonals in the beginning but it was like, "huh, ok!" I'm really happy with it in the end.

What's the one thing you want the audience to get from your piece?

That we are a community. Everyone's actions link to the next person in line.

Grab you ticket at the door tonight: $5 for students and seniors and $10 for general admission. For more information, visit our Facebook.

Photography by Anne Wharton. 

No comments:

Post a Comment